CAAHEP-accredited surgical technology and surgical assisting programs are in the process of planning and making decisions on how best to respond to the impact of COVID-19. Since the spread of COVID-19 is continuing, please know the ARC/STSA supports you as you work through this public health crisis. We will work with our programs to help them navigate issues that impact our students.
As academic institutions are in the process of planning and deciding how best to respond we encourage you to refer to these helpful resources for the latest information on coronavirus:
For students in the clinical phase of their program, decisions made may impact the students’ graduation date. Factors to consider include but are not limited to:
- Meeting with the Program Advisory Committee and clinical stakeholders to discuss options for continued learning
- Utilizing other clinical affiliations that are accepting students
- Extending the students’ learning
- Following your local public health authority’s recommendations
- Following your program’s and institution’s protocols
- Implementing the academic continuity plan for your institution
- Meeting your institutional requirements for potentially extended graduation for all students, consulting policies for incompletes, leaves of absence, and student enrollment agreements
If suspended from clinical sites, and no other sites are available, then follow the program’s action plan for students who do not meet the program’s established minimums for clinical experience.
If graduation dates are delayed, be prepared to provide the ARC/STSA with evidence demonstrating which clinical sites and students were directly impacted and the length of the disruption.
We are continuing to monitor the available information on COVID-19, which now changes daily, and will stay in communication with you all as we have more information to share.